The need it list
· 225g self-raising flour
· ½ tsp salt
· pinch cayenne pepper (we actually didn’t have any in the cupboard so left this out!)
· 1 tsp mustard powder (again – had just used this up so we went without!)
· 120g cheddar cheese
· Good handful of wild garlic
· 50g butter at room temp
· 1 egg (we used our girls eggs so popped in two as they are little ones!)
· milk (added to the eggs to make up 150ml in together)
· cookie cutter
I cheated a bit on this one – this is not a freckles recipe. I used a basic cheese scone recipe from one of the vintage cooking books we have acquired over the years. The recipe is above, we were lacking a few ingredients and added the wild garlic. It was an experiment that paid off!!
1. Go foraging! Find some lush wild garlic which is really rather strong at the moment! WASH LITTLE ONES HANDS!!! After a morning picking the garlic this was essential – the fingernails were gross! Heat oven at 200.
2. Sift flour, salt, cayenne pepper and mustard powder into a large bowl.
3. Mix in butter so that it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in cheese and finely chop wild garlic and add this into the mix. Make a well in the middle of your bowl.
5. Add milk and eggs and mix into a sticky, garlicly dough with a metal knife
6. Pop a lot of flour onto the side and turn the dough onto that. Give it a bit knead and then roll (or to be fair we just patted out with our hands!) it to about 2.5cm. Cut it out and place it on a tray.
7. Brush with milk (or egg, but I always found this a waste of egg!), and pop into the oven for 15 minutes.
OH MY DAYS. How LUSH are these???? Kids have literally inhaled them, they are pretty darn healthy and make a wicked after school, I-picked-that, snack!
We’d love to see if you made this – just use the hashtag #monthofmake and tag us on Instagram (@freckandfire) so we can marvel at your makes!
Tomorrow – #monthofmake number 11 – we’re going to be getting our make on with something for the older ones again (well my 5-year-going-on-15-year-old)!!